1) Birth or Death certificates can be obtained only if the event of birth or death is registered with the Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation.
2) Under the existing rules any event of the birth or death is to be compulsorily registered within 1 year of its occurrence.
3) Delayed registration beyond one year of occurrence of birth or death can only be done on the basis of orders of Executive / 1st Class Magistrate of the Bidhannagar Municipal area.
4) Births or deaths occurring in places within the area under Bidhannagar Municipal jurisdiction can only be registered by the Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation.


A. For Birth events occurring in Private Hospitals / Nurshing Homes in Bidhannagar Municipal area.
1) Birth certificates can be obtained from the Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation usually after 6 weeks from the date of birth, subject to the condition that all birth events are reported in prescribed registration format by the private hospitals / nurshing homes within 21 days from the date of occurrence to concerned registration Officer of Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation as a mandatory requirement.
2) Name of child can be inserted at the time of taking birth certificates by the parents or a relative authorised by the parents in writing.

B. For birth occurring in Govt. Hospitals
1) Birth certificates can be obtained from the concerned registration Office upto a period of 1 (one) year from the date of birth on production of medical certificate of birth issued by the hospital.
2) Name of child can be inserted at the time of taking birth certificate by the parents or a relative authorised by the parents in writing.

C. For Domiciliary birth events:
1) Domiciliary events of birth shall be reported by the Head of family to the municipal registration officer Unit for registration within a month but not later than 1 year along with production of medical certificate of birth issued by a Medical Practitionar / Midwife / Traditional Birth Attendant. Birth certificate can be obtained on the spot from the Ward Health Unit.
2) Birth certificates in respect of domiciliary events not reported within one year can be obtained on delayed registration on the basis of orders of First Class Magistrate of Bidhannagar area from the concerned borough Ex. Health Officer [up to 20 years] and KMC Head Office [beyond 20 years].

1) In cases when dead bodies are brought to Crematorium or Burial Ground under Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation for disposal -
Death events only in the Bidhannagar Municipal area are registered in the Crematorium or Burial Ground and death certificates are issued from there on the spot.
2) In cases when dead bodies, death events of which have taken place in Bidhannagar Municipal area are disposed of in place outside Bidhannagar Municipal area-
Death events are registered in the Bidhannagar Municipal Head Office and death certificate can be obtained from there on the spot on production of copy of certificate of death issued by institution or physician and original cremation certificate.
If an event of birth is found not registered, a Non-availability Certificate can be obtained from Bidhannagar Municipal Office.

1. What are the key activities of the department?

The key activities of the department are:
a. Issuance of new CE
b. Renewal of CE
c. Cancellation of demands and closing of CE
d. Legal actions against the defaulting traders
e. Issuance of CEs to hand cart & carraiges
f.  Collection of renewal fees
g. Other issues related to departmental activities.

2. Who needs to apply for a CE?

Every person engaged in any trade or profession or calling within the Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation area is required to obtain a Certificate of Enlistment. Person intending to be engaged in any trade or profession or calling is also needed to obtain the CE from Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation.

3. How can one apply for a new CE?
Application forms can be obtained from any of the counters of the licence department or can be downloaded from website. Please refer to here for office address details.

4. What documents do I need to submit for issuance of a new CE?
Following documents are generally required :
a. Application form duly filled up
b. Proof of occupancy of place of business
c. If a CE is sought on behalf of a company, kindly submit a copy of the Memorandum / Articles of Association, Declaration in Form. If CE is sought for Partnership firms, a copy of the Partnership deed needs to be submitted.
d. Other specific requirements for specific trades: For further details please contact Licence department or go through the website.
e. Relevant undertaking with seal & signature of proprietor / partners / director(s)

5. What is the expected time frame for issuance of a new CE?
Seven days.It may vary depending on the merit of the cases.

6. What should I do if there is an excessive delay in the issue of CE?
In the unlikely event of such occurrence, you are advised to contact the licence officer or the deputy licence officer in charge of the concerned unit office for proper redressal. In case of inordinate delay in granting the CE or for any other inconvenience you may also approach the License Officer at the Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation.

7. How can I renew my CE?
A demand notice would be sent to you every year for renewal of CE mentioning the fees. Kindly deposit the fees at any of the offices as specified on the reverse of demand bill. The payment can be made either in cash or by cheque/demand draft/pay order in favor of Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation payable at Kolkata. On payment, the demand notice alogn with the payment receipt would be deemed as a CE.

8. What should I do in case I do not receive the demand notice?
In the unlikely event of such occurrence, kindly deposit the following document at the respective unit offices:
Original of the last paid CE
On submission of the above document a duplicate copy of demand notice would be issued.

9. What would be my liability in case I have defaulted in making payment for CE fees?
The trader shall be liable to pay :

a. Two times of the fees as calculated from the current year schedule in case he has defaulted for one year.

b. Three times of the fees as calculated from the current year schedule in case he has defaulted for two year.

c. Four times of the fees as calculated from the current year schedule in case he has defaulted for three years or more.

In case of renewal payment, trader is liable to pay the arrear dues along with penalty for the defaulting year(s).

10. What shall I do in case I need further information about CE?
In case you need further information please feel free to contact with our Help Desk Counter, Licence department, at the Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation office.  Please refer to here for office address details.

11. How can I get information on my CE edited in cases such as change in location of business or errors in my CE?
Kindly submit application in plain paper for effecting desired changes. Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation would hold an enquiry and on realization of necessary fees wherever applicable shall issue the CE.

12. What shall I do if I want to close the CE?
If you want to close the CE, please make up-to-date payment of fees for that financial year and apply for closure within the financial year enclosing current paid up CE. If it is a partnership firm, you also need to submit deed of dissolution. In case of a private limited company, necessary documents issued by R.O.C need to be produced, otherwise no effect will be given to the application for closure. If all documents are found in order, then after physical inspection by department, CE will be closed from that financial year and the applicant will get back the original CE with a remark 'closed' on it.